Saturday, September 12, 2009

Seems like its been quite awhile since I blogged any photos. Have not even got those chinook photos from my friend. Jump was enjoyable, but it wasn't fantastic. I had a really good laugh, the stunts were pretty good, but paled in comparison to Breakout.

Brudder and me, tkd kakis, my shifu in his bruce lee-ish costume, smiley brudder and me again..and the stage~

So when the rest proceeded to Comex, brudder and me wisely chose to leave the crowd and caught The Cove. If you're going to watch one show this year, The Cove is the movie for you. Alright, I just made a bold statement there, however, I do watch a lot of movies and I know what constitutes a good show and what doesn't. Stuffs like FD2009 = Epic Fail. Though I happen to know people who loved the show to bits... *shrugs

Anyway it's a non-fictitious show about this town in Japan who appears to love whales and dolphins because they have dolphins on their pavements, on their buildings, etc. But there's a little cove out of sight from everyone where the dolphins get mass slaughtered, brutally. So this guy, who's the creator of the Flipper dolphin series recruits a team like Ocean's Eleven with different specialities to expose this secret. Like one guy is an expert with hidden cameras, two world record holders for free diving, someone from Industrial Light & Magic to make the props to hide the cameras. I was pretty disturbed and upset watching the film.. Given the level of mercury in the dolphin, one would be practically consuming poison.. but where there's money to be made, there are atrocities to be committed. Tragic. Its all the more timely and hurtful that The Cove is screened now because dolphin harvesting starts every September..

What struck me was also about this guy (who created the Flipper series) was also responsible for pioneering the seaworld kinda attractions where dolphins were caught and kept in captivity. He spent 10yrs helping to develop the whole model before realising that what he was doing is wrong..and went on to spend the last 35yrs trying to right his wrong. That's moral obligations, bravery and responsibility for you.

If you're still not convinced to watch this, it won the 2009 Sundance documentary, rottentomatoes.com gave it a 94% rating, and it's the frontrunner to win Best Documentary at the Oscars. Unfortunately it's only showing at Europa (Vivo) and Plaza Singapura. Trust me, I guarantee it'll be worth the money and your time.
Okok, let's end the day lightheartedly with photo of the day. HAHAHAH

hahaha!!
an absolute gem~ bestest brudder :D

No comments: